Our purpose is simple: To enrich the lives of our partners. Steelway is committed to providing our customers with the highest quality products and services available today, and we believe that commitment begins with hiring the best people.
As a member of the purchasing team and as a new Steelway family member, you will join a diverse, dynamic group of highly motivated individuals that bring with them a wide array of talents, skills, and backgrounds.
The Purchasing Manager is responsible for the overall leadership of the purchasing team to maintain a cost effective and serviceable inventory through issuing, receiving, and recording material transactions. The Purchasing Manager will lead, inspire, build and motivate a high-performance team that delivers on our higher purpose – ‘Enriching the lives of our partners’ and influence behaviour to create a culture of excellence.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- The Purchasing Manager will lead the purchasing team comprised of the Purchasing Agent and Purchasing Associate while reporting to the VP of Product Fulfilment.
- The Purchasing Manager will work in unison with all members of the organization who report material transactions.
- Plan, direct, and evaluate all purchasing activities.
- Support the purchasing team through the coordination of effective purchasing of raw materials and finished goods.
- In accordance with business practices maintain a serviceable inventory level.
- Establish annual goals and objectives with the purchasing team in accordance with the overall business plan.
- Negotiate on behalf of the organization and maintain good relationships with vendors.
- Be a role model for the company culture by upholding and promoting core values and leadership ideals.
- Provide effective leadership in developing training and motivating the purchasing team and vendors.
- On an occasional basis lead the purchasing team in building relationships with existing and new vendors whilst closely managing the negotiation of contracts.
- Actively participate and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Purchase various steel products that meet Steelway engineered specifications.
- Continual management of inventory that successfully services our organizational functions in an effort to satisfy our customers.
- Build successful relationships with new and current suppliers that are able to service our business needs.
- Maintain continuous flow of communication between the purchasing team and other reliant departments. This includes the sales team regarding relevant pricing changes, system design team regarding the most cost-efficient materials, etc.
- Ensure the accuracy of all electronic files belonging to purchasing and inventory controls.
- Train team members on the use and importance of pertinent departmental electronic files.
- Proactively liaison with production team members to ensure material delivery dates meet the schedule and will result in on time delivery of products to the customer.
- Conduct marketplace analysis often to ensure maximum efficiency of materials and cost.
- On occasion site visits with major suppliers to verify their quality standards.
- Live the Steelway culture.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- A post-secondary education is required, preferably in a related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a manufacturing purchasing role is necessary.
- Must have thorough knowledge of purchasing and inventory control principles.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
- A proven track record of success in building a purchasing team with strategic partnerships will be beneficial.
- Demonstrated experience establishing organizational policies and procedures in relation to purchasing.
- The position requires highly effective negotiation skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills and a desire to take responsibility and to organize.
- Must have excellent professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in a computerized manufacturing accounting environment would be considered an asset.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive benefits package including a health spending account
- RRSP Program
- Profit Sharing Program
- Ability to work remotely (part-time)
- Monthly employee appreciation lunch
- Family, friendly environment
Steelway Building Systems provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, the hiring manager and the Director, of Human resources will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.
Apply for This Job