Team Manager - Warehousing
McCormick Canada continues its long track record of growth and is a respected leader in the spice, seasoning, flavouring and specialty food industry. Our consumer products division serves retail grocery customers and emerging channels with Club House, Billy Bee and McCormick products, while our Custom Flavour Solutions division serves food service distributors and other respected food manufacturers across Canada. McCormick Canada is part of the world leader in spice and seasonings, McCormick & Company Inc.
The Power of People is one of our five pillars. It has been the foundation for McCormick's success for decades. There is something inspiring about working at McCormick. We have created an unusually dedicated workforce by fostering a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values. Without our employees, our success is not possible. Our commitment to our customers, our consumers and our employees is unsurpassed.
Under the general direction of the Department Manager - Warehouse, the Distribution Team Manager provides leadership for a functional team within a high-performance environment. Oversees the daily management of the multi-shift operation and drives improvement activities through the development of people and processes. This role has overall accountability for the results of the team and requires a good understanding of Distribution and Warehousing procedures and concepts and the ability to apply them within own technical area, as well as a basic knowledge within other areas and how they relate and interact with own area. This role will be located out of the (LDC) London Distribution Center in London, ON.
The Team Manager – Distribution is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, sanitation, continuous improvement and all aspects of people management, across multiple shifts, for our London Distribution Center. Supervises and coordinates activities of Distribution Technicians engaged in Receiving/Shipping/Picking. Ensures that Technicians and Crew Leaders are trained and certified in the safe and optimal operation of equipment, as well as behavioral and leadership competencies. Ensures that organization standards are met in the areas of Safety, Quality, Reliability, Cost, and Service. Interacts with other Team Managers to coordinate activities between departments. Responsible for the development and performance management of team members.
- TEAM MANAGEMENT: Leads a team in a specific functional area in a manner consistent with the core beliefs and guiding principles of McCormick's High Performance System. Utilizes coaching and facilitation skills to manage employee relations. Provides regular performance feedback and oversees development/training plans for individuals within the team. Actively uses performance and development tools to document and facilitate improvement/recognition discussions. Rewards and recognizes performance achievements. Removes barriers that prevent the team from achieving goals. Ensures appropriate cross-training within the department to achieve departmental goals.
- IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES: Utilizes Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) problem solving tools and methodologies to continually improve processes within the function. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and tenacity to resolve problems and implement process improvements. Leads root cause analysis when required for failures that meet the applicable threshold. Develops and ensures all functional procedures and best practices are documented and continually improved. Interacts cross-functionally to resolve issues.
- MANAGE KEY RESULT AREAS (Safety, Quality, Cost, Reliability, Customer Service, etc.): Directs and supports the daily management of the team to prioritize work and achieve goals. Creates an atmosphere of 100% compliance to operational processes and procedures. Coordinates the sharing of resources to make the best use of existing skills to meet business needs. Ensures that procedures and scorecards are in place for the team. Manages the 3PL distribution/warehousing activities for the LDC.
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates effectively up, down, and across the organization. Creates a vision for the team that is in alignment with Canadian Operations Division, and McCormick. Communicates organizational and plant objectives, including the attainment of established scorecard metrics (safety, quality, performance, etc.) and ensures that they are understood and linked to the team's work. Manages interactions with other areas to support total Canadian Operations objectives. Conducts regular team meetings to share information and ensure two-way communication.
- FUNCTIONAL OGSM: On an annual basis, execute specific projects and action plans (in additional to core work, above) in support of the functional OGSM.
- TECHNICAL DUTIES SPECIFIC TO FUNCTION: Manages the technical aspects of the role, specific to the functional area of Distribution/Warehousing.
- Individuals will generally enter this role with a combination of demonstrated technical and leadership skills equivalent to a minimum of 3 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated ability within a Distribution environment. Strong knowledge of SAP is a requirement.
- Basic understanding of how own area integrates with other areas and co-ordinates to contribute to the achievement of goals. Some knowledge of how external factors impact the work unit. Moderate knowledge of the Logistics industry required.
- Uses judgement based on the analysis of information
- Requires attention to detail in making evaluative judgements based on the analysis of factual information.
- Expected to resolve problems by identifying and selecting solutions through the application of technical experience and review of precedents.
- Sound and comprehensive communication and diplomacy skills are required in order to exchange complicated information, including sensitive information or information that is difficult to communicate because of its content or its audience.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy with SAP, Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to work under minimum supervision
- Willingness to continually improve through internal cross training and courses when applicable
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- completion of post-secondary education
- BA / BSc preferred and considered an asset
- Industry designation (CCLP) is an asset.
Throughout the selection process, accommodations for applicants with disabilities are available upon request. Please notify H.R. if required.